Glitter Ornaments are going to be BIG this year–as they should be!–because they are:
- Simple to make
- Easy to personalize
- Not messy like most glitter projects!
Here’s my “quick and easy” guide to making beautiful ornaments!
What you need:
- Clear Glass Ornaments (available at most craft stores)
- Your choice of glitter (chunky glitter works as well as fine and superfine glitter)
- Minwax Polycrylic Clear Gloss (you can use other brands or even floor polish)
- Squeeze bottle
- Sturdy disposable cups (I used Solo brand cups)
- Ribbon, vinyl or other embellishments for decoration
- Gather all your supplies ahead of time and set up your newspaper and Solo cups on your work area
- Remove the tops of ornaments and set aside
- Squirt a small amount of polycrylic into the ornament and gently roll it to coat the entire inside; add more if needed to fully coat the inside
- Turn ornaments upside down and let drain in the cups while you finish adding all the poly to your blanks. Allow your ornament to drip thoroughly–I usually set them aside for about 15 minutes
- Using a small paper funnel or your hand, pour glitter inside the ornament and shake to coat the entire inside…it is okay to add more than is needed or even add more if you started off too lightly
- Once glitter covers the entire inside of the ornament, return it to the cup (upside down), giving it one last shake to remove excess and allow to dry (I usually dry them overnight)
- Replace ornament tops on dried glittered ornaments and embellish as desired
Please note: If you are planning on embellishing the outside of the ornament with vinyl, you need to consider the size and shape of the ornament as the surface is usually rounded. This takes some time and you may have some flubs, so practice.
Images of process:
I PURCHASED the Grinch face svg on Etsy and all other images were purchased or in my collection. Please respect copyrights of artists!
Here are a few glitter bulbs I have made with vinyl embellishments: