Hi fellow Weight Watchers!
I’m back again with another yummy and “WW friendly” Mexican-style main dish. This one is an old favorite that I plugged into the WW App and only modified slightly to produce a 6 point large entree to die for! Soooo yummy for the tummy!
I like to prepare this one in a Dutch Oven, because of its even heating, but it can also be prepared in a regular pot, too! My 12 year old son–MO–loves this one and he’s not even a Weight Watcher!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups canned/boxed chicken broth
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies (I use Rotel)
- 1 large (or 2 small) cans/jars of enchilada sauce
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn kernals
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Add oil to your Dutch Oven and heat for a minute or so. Toss in onion, garlic and bell pepper and cook for a minute or two. Add chicken chunks and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes until vegetables are soft and chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the rice and stir to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until rice and chicken is light golden brown.
- Add chicken broth, canned tomatoes and chilies, enchilada sauce, corn, chili powder and cumin. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook covered until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid or for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and add the black beans. Stir to combine. Cover and let rest for a few minutes.
- Makes 6 *very generous* servings, which equal to about of only 6 Weight Watcher points, as prepared. Note: If you serve it with a low-fat sour cream and/or a sprinkling of low-fat Mexican cheese you need to consult your app and add for the additional toppings.